Call for the 5th International Geopark Camp for Youth
The International Geopark Camp for Youth (IGC) is a biennial educational offer of the German-Polish UNESCO Global Geopark Muskauer Faltenbogen / Luk Mużakowa. For the year 2024 we are looking for dedicated and curious school classes or youth groups aged 15-17 that enjoy research and cultural exchange with participants from the international geopark community. During a one-week stay full of field trips, workshops, and activities we dive into the unique cultural and geological history of the region and learn about its wealth of raw materials, the craftsmanship and processing industry.
Topic: Geology meets Geological Witnesses of Climate Change
As early as January 2024, the participants will work on a research project under the heading “Geology meets Geological Witnesses of Climate Change”. Scientific support should be provided by a teacher and the staff of a local geopark. As a team you will explore the individual evidence for climatic and environmental changes on the territory of your Geopark and research the literature. The aim is to document your work in the form of pictures and videos and to present your findings as a short article, based on a scientific manuscript. These will be compiled in a booklet, that will be continued and updated over the years.
The work from 2022 can be found here: https://www.muskauer-faltenbogen.de/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/IGC_2022_Projektarbeit.pdf
What’s your job as an interested Geopark?
- Outline a project idea that fits the topic of the IGC with your regional earth history
- Contact schools or other organisations to form a group of 5 persons aged 15-17 (+ supervising teacher)
- Submit a brief application (not more than one-page A4) that includes a) the topic to be investigated, b) a short introduction of the school, the class and the teacher and c) an introduction of the supervising the Geopark staff (1 or 2 persons)
- Deadline for application: End of December, 2023.
- Date of the Camp: 27.07.-03.08.2024
- The educational offer will be held in English language
- The cost of the IGC will be covered by the German-Polish Geopark Muskauer Faltenbogen / Łuk Mużakowa. That includes costs of the technical equipment, accommodation, full board, admissions and so on. There will be a subsidy for travel expenses.
We are looking forward to your participation!